First Schoolhouse in Southeast FloridaFounded in 1886 as a community project, the Little Red Schoolhouse was the first one-room school built in southeast Florida. With $200 of limber from the Dade County School Board, the men of the community, led by George W. Lainhart, volunteered their labor to construct the 22-by-40-foot building. The school's original location was one mile north of the Flagler Memorial Bridge on Lake Trail on land donated by the David Brown and John C. Hoagland families. The Ladies Aid Society raised additional money for the school's furnishings. Sixteen-year-old Hattie Gale taught the first class of eight students ranging in age from six to seventeen. Pupils arrived by boat, bicycle, or on foot. The school served families around Lake Worth until 190I. It was then turned into a gardener's shed on the John S. Phipps property. In 1960 the structure was moved to Phipps Ocean Park and renovated by the Gardeners Society of Palm Beach.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||The Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach and the Florida Department of State|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 595646 N 2946941|
|Decimal Degrees||26.64016667, -80.03903333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 26° 38.41', W 80° 2.342'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||26° 38' 24.6" N, 80° 2' 20.52" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2050-2100 Florida A1A, Palm Beach FL 33480, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|