The Historic National Road in Ohio
—The Birthplace of the Tomato —The eastern portion of Franklin County began to be settled about 1812 when Ohio was still a vast forested wilderness. Transportation moved at a snail's pace over old Indian trails and natural waterways. 1n 1818 the National Road reached the Ohio River at Wheeling, (West Virginia) Virginia. On July 4, 1825, ground was broken in St. Clairsville, Ohio, to extend the National Road through Ohio. By 1830 the National Road construction crews were moving west. James Reynolds established a store to supply the road workers. He boarded with the family of John D. French, who owned land in the path of the National Road, and persuaded French to lay out a village on his farmland in 1831. Reynolds was later elected Post Master, state Representative and Militia General. The village was named after him, and incorporated March 16, 1839. Building the National Road was the major event that resulted in the founding of Reynoldsburg. The National Road reached Reynoldsburg in 1831, Columbus in 1833, and the Ohio-Indiana border in 1840.
|Series||This marker is part of the The Historic National Road series|
|Placed By||The National Road Association, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, July 31st, 2016 at 9:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 346110 N 4424335|
|Decimal Degrees||39.95516667, -82.80160000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 57.31', W 82° 48.096'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 57' 18.6" N, 82° 48' 5.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||614, 740|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 7357 US-40, Reynoldsburg OH 43068, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.