History of the Catholic University Law School Historical

History of the Catholic University Law School Historical (HM1TD1)

Location: Washington, DC 20017
Country: United States of America

N 38° 56.158', W 76° 59.84'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 52 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription

History of the Columbus University School of Law

History of the Catholic University Law School1895-1954As early as 1890, Archbishop John Joseph Keane, the first rector of The Catholic University of America recognized the need for the study of law at the university to meet the demand for Catholic lawyers imbued with the true spirit of their religion as well as with the fundamental of jurisprudence. In 1895, the Trustees of Catholic University opened the School of Social Sciences which included a Department of Law. Two years later a separate School of Law was established. The Honorable William Callyhan Robinson was appointed the first dean of the law school.In 1921, the law school became a member of the Association of American Law Schools. By 1925, The Catholic University Law School became one of the first District of Columbia law schools to be recognized by the American Bar Association. In 1938, the school was one of only 10 law schools in the United States requiring a baccalaureate degree of every candidate for admission.In 1954, the CUA law school merged with the Columbus University School of Law which had been established in 1922 by the Knights of Columbus. The new school became the Columbus School of Law of The Catholic University of America. At the same time, CUA acquired the property of the former Columbus University and moved the
law school from McMahon Hall to the site at 1323 Eighteenth Street, N.W.After twelve years, the law school returned in 1966 to the CUA campus to occupy the newly constructed Leahy Hall. The facility was named for the last president of the Columbus University, William Leahy, a member of the Knights of Columbus.Enrollment increased steadily during the sixties and seventies and the school soon outgrew Leahy Hall. In 1983 space in McMahon Hall was converted into classrooms for law school use. In 1988 the school expanded into Keane Hall to provide additional teaching, study, and administrative space.The law school moved into a newly constructed building in the summer of 1994. For the first time in years, all components of the school were housed under one roof with adequate space to ensure a quality legal education for generations to come. This building was dedicated October 1, 1994.Small, lower dedicatory marker:Gift from William J. Whalen, '83 and Carol A. Whalen, In honor of Mary E. Parker and in memory of James L. ParkerHistory of The Columbus University School of Law1922-1954In 1919, the national chapter of the Knights of Columbs founded more than 100 evening school programs nationwide, including one in Washington, D.C. These programs provided free education for veterans returning from World War I, granting undergraduate
degrees as well as high school equivalency diplomas.In 1922, funding from the national chapter of the Knights of Columbus for these evening programs was depleted. That same year, the local Washington, D.C. council of the Knights of Columbus voted to continue the evening school program, but limited the curriculum to law and accounting. The name of the program was changed to the Columbus University School of Law. In August 1922, the Columbus University School of Law was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia and continued to operate under this charter until June 1934. In that year the United States Congress granted the charter under which it operated until 1954.The local council's goal for the school was to enable "young men and women in moderate circumstances" to study the law. The 1928-29 Announcements describes the faculty as "attorneys actively engaged in the practice of the law before various branches of the government in Washington, and before the various courts of the city."By 1939, the Columbus University School of Law had the third largest enrollment in the United States with 1,059 students. The law school was accredited by the American Bar Association in 1944.The Columbus University School of Law was originally located in a row house at 1311 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. It then moved to the "Dulles Mansion" at 1323 Eighteenth
Street, N.W., and later acquired an adjoining townhouse at 1325 Eighteenth Street, N.W. to house administrative functions.In 1954, an act of Congress signed by President Eisenhower approved the merger of the Columbus University School of Law with the Catholic University School of Law to form the present Columbus School of Law of The Catholic University of America.Small, lower dedicatory marker:Gift from William J. Whalen, '83 and Carol A. Whalen, In honor of David D. and Mary D. Whalen
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1TD1
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Saturday, July 30th, 2016 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18S E 326884 N 4311567
Decimal Degrees38.93596667, -76.99733333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 38° 56.158', W 76° 59.84'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds38° 56' 9.48" N, 76° 59' 50.4" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)202
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 3600 John McCormack Dr NE, Washington DC 20017, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?