Fort Lincoln Cemetery was chartered in 1912 by an act of the Maryland General Assembly and presently contains 178 acres.
Here, at Fort Lincoln Cemetery, masterworks of marble, granite and bronze stand in solemn dignity and provides a tranquil setting for those visiting the final resting places of their loved ones.
Fort Lincoln property consists of parcels from three early land grants: Scotland (1685), Barbadoes (1685) and Chillum Castle Manor (1763). A few of these early land owners were Col. Henry Darnall, William Thompson, Richard Evans, Williams Diggs, Charles Carroll, the Barrister (relative of Charles Carroll, signer of the Declaration of Independence), George Conn, John Veitch, his descendants, John C. Rives (co-founder of the Globe newspaper), and others.
As an early farm land, three events were to disturb this otherwise pastoral setting: 1) In 1792 a survey was made and the District of Columbia boundary marker NE No. 7 was placed. 2) Near this spot on August 24, 1814, marines and flotillamen under the command of Joshua Barney fought a gallant stand against the British redcoats in the Battle of Bladensburg. 3) In 1861, after the bombardment of Fort Sumter (the beginning of the Civil War), the property was seized by the United States Government for the location of Battery Jameson (named for Brig. Gen. Charles D. Jameson).
The remains of Battery Jameson are still visible near the old spring house. President Abraham Lincoln is said to have met her to discuss army stragey. The battery served to reinforce Fort Lincoln which was located a short distance away in the District of Columbia.
Fort Lincoln Cemetery was named after Fort Lincoln which strategically protected the nation's capitol during the Civil War. Fort Lincoln became the headquarters for the Second Pennsylvania Veteran Heavy Artillery. Men from this unit staffed Battery Jameson.