Union City Heritage Water TrailIn 1872, the Village Council made an appropriation of $1500 to purchase the first fire fighting equipment, a hand fire engine hose cart and 500 ft. of hose. The engine was christened "The St. Joseph" and a 43 member volunteer department was organized. In 1876, a brick engine house costing $2450 was erected. It was a twin attached to the west side of the building above here. There was a jail cell in the back, the village offices were on the second floor, and a bell tower on top for calling firemen to duty. It was razed in 1970. The twin half of the historic building, a stable originally, went on to be a garage, Plain Dealer Antiques and The GAW Center for the Arts, Wellness and Events. The wooden building still standing to the east was a blacksmith shop until the 1950s.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 654409 N 4658794|
|Decimal Degrees||42.06605000, -85.13365000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 3.963', W 85° 8.019'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 3' 57.78" N, 85° 8' 1.14" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 135 S Broadway St, Union City MI 49094, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|