Side 1Brigadier General Birkett Davenport Fry, CSA
In his lifetime General Birkett D. Fry was a cadet at Virginia Military Institute and West Point; 1st Lt. (U.S. Infantry) in Mexican War; lawyer in California; mercenary-soldier of fortune in Latin America; colonel (adjutant) of the 13th Alabama (CSA) Infantry Regiment in the Civil War when he was wounded in four different battles including Gettysburg, taken prisoner of war, then promoted to Brigadier General (May 1864); engaged in the tobacco business in Cuba; executive in the Taliassee Textile Mills; public school
superintendent in Montgomery, AL; and president of the Richmond, VA Cotton Mill until his death. His body was returned to Montgomery where he was buried next to his wife in Oakwood Cemetery.
Fry was born in Kanawha County, WV (24 June 1822) and died in Richmond, VA (21 January 1891). The son of Thornton Fry (1786-1823) and Eliza R. Thompson (1794-1885), he was married to Martha Augusta Micou (1823-1878), the sister of Benjamin Hall Micou (1825-1887) who was president of the Taliassee Manufacturing Company beginning in 1871.
Tallassee Confederate Officers Quarters
In the spring of 1864, the Confederate States of America (CSA) moved the Confederate Armory in Richmond, VA to Tallassee, AL, necessitating new housing for the officers and staff. With the help of the Tallassee Falls Mfg. Company, four houses were built on King Street, at 301, 303, 305, and 307.
The Confederate Armory closed in April 1865 at the end of the Civil War and the Tallassee Falls Mfg. Co. gained possession of the houses. The house at 303 King was demolished when the Bank of Tallassee was built. The other three remain.
After the Civil War, Brigadier-General (CSA) Birkett Davenport Fry (1822-1891) returned to Tallassee to live at 301 King Street until 1880, in his capacity as secretary for the Tallassee Mfg. Co., then successor to the Tallassee Falls Mfg. Co. From 1880 until 1966 it was the residence for the managers of the Tallassee Mills Company Stores. Samuel Hugh Scott (1867-1942) lived there from 1900-1942; Belser Ray Carr (1895-1966) followed from 1942-1966. In 2005, it became the office for The Segrest Law Firm.