In April 1855, forty one men under the leadership of Alfred N. Billings were called to establish a mission in the Elk Mountains. They left Salt Lake City May 7, 1855, arrived at Grand River June 11, and selected the site for a settlement. By July 15, they had built a fort 64 feet square, with stone walls, 12 feet high, 4 feet at the base and 1 & 1/2 feet at the top. Three of the pioneers, James. W. Hunt, Edward Edwards and William Behunin were buried within the enclosure, which was located about 800 feet from this monument.
Plaque below marker:
This monument was relocated in April 2006. The monument was formerly located at 995 N. Highway 191, which is 1.5 miles northwest of where the monument now stands. The location of the Old Fort was 3000 ft W, 1320 ft from the NW corner of Sec 34 Township 25 S, Range 21 E, Salt Lake Base Meridian.