— Ohio Historical Marker —For nearly a century, this 98-acre site was occupied by an orphanage that, over the years, cared for several thousand destitute children. Founded in nearby Toledo in 1867 as the Protestant Orphan's Home, the orphanage became the Lucas County Children's Home shortly after it was relocated to this former farmland in 1887. It was renamed the Miami Children's Center in 1960 before closing permanently in 1986. The main campus, across the River Road, was sold for residential use. The playground, on this side of the road, originally connected to the main campus by a tunnel, was given to the Maumee school system in 2004 as the site for the current Ft. Miami Elementary School. On these grounds, the laughter of a new generation of children at play is being heard once more....a fitting tribute to the disadvantaged boys and girls who formerly lived here.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||Lucas County/Maumee Valley Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, May 19th, 2016 at 1:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 281719 N 4606238|
|Decimal Degrees||41.57803333, -83.61833333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 34.682', W 83° 37.1'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 34' 40.92" N, 83° 37' 6" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2501 River Rd, Maumee OH 43537, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|