The Cranberry School Bell

The Cranberry School Bell (HM1S2K)

Location: Saint Henry, OH 45883 Mercer County
Country: United States of America

N 40° 23.581', W 84° 34.89'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 59 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
This bell is the original from the Cranberry School
that used to stand directly across the road from this
location. The bell was hung in the tower on the southwest
corner of the school. Every day the bell was rung to
begin the school day and call the children in from recess.
Anton DeCurtins built the school in 1904 and its
dimensions were 36 ft. wide, 50 ft. long and 30 ft. tall
with a tower. it had a red tile roof, a basement and a
steam furnace. These elements made it one of the most
handsome and best- appointed school buildings in the
county at the time. The front entrance of the school
faced west. In July of 1923 electricity was installed in
the school. Originally grades one through eight were
taught in the one room schoolhouse.
In 1936 the school was remodeled into a two-room
schoolhouse when the Cranberry and Quinter schools
were combined. Grades one through four were taught
on one side and five through eight on the other. A
teacher's house and a bus garage also stood next to the
school. Cranberry school was in operation until the
1960-61 school year when it was annexed to St. Henry
Schools. The Cranberry School was closed when the new
St. Henry elementary school was completed and ready
for classes in September of 1961.
At 2:00p.m. January 18, 1962, the school was sold
at auction for six hundred dollars to Henry J. Vogelpohl,
a representative of the catholic Church of Cincinnati,
Ohio. The building was used as a warehouse for Robert
E. Bruns Construction Co. until it was
(picture of school building)
dismantled so
the bricks could be reused. before the school was
dismantled in 1972, Ray Stachler removed the bell from
the school. He kept the bell for more than thirty years
until the family of George Watercutter purchased it from
his estate auction. The Watercutters donated the bell
back to the parish where it is now displayed in front of
the church. the only other piece of the school still in
Cranberry is one of the original chalkboards, which at
this time is in the home of Meradella Schwieterman.
Steve Watercutter 2008
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1S2K
Year Placed2008
Placed ByFamily of George Watercutter
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Thursday, May 5th, 2016 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16T E 705263 N 4474187
Decimal Degrees40.39301667, -84.58150000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 40° 23.581', W 84° 34.89'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds40° 23' 34.86" N, 84° 34' 53.4" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)419
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 1519 Cranberry Rd, Saint Henry OH 45883, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. This markers needs some tags to help categorize the marker
  4. What historical period does the marker represent?
  5. What historical place does the marker represent?
  6. What type of marker is it?
  7. What class is the marker?
  8. What style is the marker?
  9. Does the marker have a number?
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?