V.F.W. SignThis photograph taken about 1870 shows the Chenango Canal looking south from the viewpoint of the canal bridge that crossed East Main Street at Canal Street. In the foreground is Edwin Smith's Warehouse, later known as R.D.Eaton Grain and Seed Company. Curving away in the background directly behind the feed warehouse is the H. Thompson and Company Foundry and Machine Shop where iron fences and agricultural implements were produced. On the left side of the picture is part of a canal boat. This is the only known photograph of a canal boat in Norwich. Curving away in the distance on the left is the Norwich Gas and Light Company. The plant provided coal gas used to illuminate 18 lamp posts in the Village of Norwich. Today's (2007) P&C Shopping Center buildings and parking lot almost completely cover the site of the canal and the manufacturing plants surrounding it in this location.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 457322 N 4708940|
|Decimal Degrees||42.53166667, -75.51966667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 31.9', W 75° 31.18'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 31' 54" N, 75° 31' 10.8" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Canal St, Norwich NY 13815, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|