History of the Library / Andalusia Post Office becomes Public Library

History of the Library / Andalusia Post Office becomes Public Library (HM1RWA)

Location: Andalusia, AL 36420 Covington County
Country: United States of America

N 31° 18.411', W 86° 28.982'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 169 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
History of the Library


In 1913 the Study Club of Andalusia was organized to establish a library for Andalusia. Led by founder Miss Ethel Darling the club held a book shower
resulting in $5.50 and 15 books which became the embryo of the library.
After World War I the club acquired 100 books from soldiers' libraries to place in the Milligan Building and in 1920 they opened the Covington County Free Library in the Masonic Hall with 200 books. The first library board was formed in 1921 with Mrs. Oscar M. Duggar as president. In 1934 Library Board President Mrs. A. C. Darling, Sr., Mayor John G. Scherf, Senator Lister Hill, and club members campaigned to construct a building. The city donated a corner of the grammar school property at Sixth Avenue and College Street. In 1937 the ladies petitioned the Public Works Administration and the government contributed $3000. Construction began in 1938. After 26 years the vision of the Study Club came to fruition. In March 1939 the new home of the Covington County Free Library opened to the public with Mrs. O. M. Duggar as the librarian.

FOUNDERS of the Study Club: Miss Ethel Darling (Mrs. D. D Chapman)
Mrs. A. L. Gresham, Miss John Glen (Mrs. J. L. Mixon), Miss Martha
Riley (Mrs. Warren Hunter), and Mrs. C. N. Wharton. CHARTER MEMBERS
of the Study Club: Mrs. George Adams, Miss Trudie Ballard, (Mrs. W. C.
Payne), Mrs. L. E. Broughton, Mrs. T. A. Broughton, Mrs. L. E. Brown,
Mrs. S. B. Milligan, Mrs. Henry Opp (Mrs. J. H. Guy), Mrs. T.F. Plummer,
Mrs. L. M. Studstill


Andalusia Post Office becomes Public Library


The first library building served Andalusia citizens for twenty-eight years. In 1963 the Andalusia Post Office relocated to a new building. Mrs. D.D. Chapman led a movement to secure the old post office for the public library.
Members of the Study Club of Andalusia, Library Board President Mrs. M.S. Hooper and Mrs. Chapman began a letter writing campaign to Senators
Lister Hill and John Sparkman, Congressman Bill Dickinson, Governor
George Wallace, and federal officials. After two years, the old post office property was transferred to the city. The citizens of Andalusia banded together to make plans for ftnancing and renovation. Mayor Howard Ham, City Councilmen Jimmy Utsey, Reltys Powell, Nat Waller, Manny Russo and City Attorney Albert Rankin selected Architect Douglas Baker and Contractors Reid and Henry Merrill. Funds were secured by the City of Andalusia, the Board of Education the Coterie Club, and the Study Club with the help of seventy-five individuals and clubs who donated funds for the project. The El Martes Garden Club financed the landscaping. Boy Scout Troop 46 helped shelve the books. Study Ciub members and Librarian Mrs. Hoke Smith planned the formal opening. On Sunday, April 26, 1967 hundreds of Andalusia citizens visited the facility to celebrate the new Andalusia Public Library and view the 15,000 volumes of books. in February
1975 another milestone of library history occurred with the completion of the new Assembly Learning Center which was buit as a memorial to the late Charles Dixon, made possible by his widow Thelma Chapman Dixon. The Dixon Memorial doubled the square footage of the main library.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1RWA
Placed ByThe City of Andalusia
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, April 25th, 2016 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16R E 549194 N 3463724
Decimal Degrees31.30685000, -86.48303333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 31° 18.411', W 86° 28.982'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds31° 18' 24.66" N, 86° 28' 58.92" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)334
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 113-133 Dunson St, Andalusia AL 36420, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. This markers needs some tags to help categorize the marker
  4. What historical period does the marker represent?
  5. What historical place does the marker represent?
  6. What type of marker is it?
  7. What class is the marker?
  8. What style is the marker?
  9. Does the marker have a number?
  10. What year was the marker erected?
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?