Dedicated in 1877, as the Barron Library, it was the first library in Middlesex County. Donated by Thomas Barron, an entrepreneur and philanthropist who considered Woodridge his native town, this building served as a library until 1977. When the deed was conveyed to the Township of Woodbridge, it was with the understanding that the building would be used as a center for the arts.
Listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places in November 1977, the structure looks much as it did when it was designed by architect J. Cleveland Cady. This Richardsonian Romanesque Revival style construction, of Belleville stone, is distinguished by its Roman arch and pier. The upright gables and clock tower along with the copper studded roof peak are enlightened by ornate finials at the pinnacle and cable ends. The semicircular apse, derived from the Roman Basilica, is one of the outstanding features of the building's interior as are the stained glass windows of different sizes and designs that are found throughout. A stained glass rose window is the focal point of the room that once housed the library stacks. Floral designed terra cotta panels adorn the vestibule walls. The fireplace in the"Reading Room" is outlined with blue and white Delft tiles from Holland, each of which depicts a scene from the Bible.
This Historic Marker is a gift to the people of Woodbridge from the Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 2007.