219 Maple Street, Auburn, CaliforniaThis building first constructed in 1852, opened on September 22, 1855 as the first Placer County Hospital. In 1890 the building was badly damaged by fire. At the time, the upstairs was the residence and gallery of photographer J.M. Jacobs and the dental offices of Dr. J.C. Hawver, also a spelunker and photographer, who with W.W. Banbrock, another photographer in Jacobs' gallery, produced many of the early photos and postcards of Auburn and Placer County. Placer County Hospital, which by then accepted private patients, was reestablished where the Auburn Town Center now stands and operated through 1974. J.M. Jacobs rebuilt, and the Jacobs family owned the building until 1957, and Placer County owned it until 2004, when it was purchased by the Old Town Auburn Preservation Society. The building is still listed o the National Register as the Jacobs House, and has a new life as the Gold Country Medical History Museum.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series|
|Placed By||Native Sons of the Golden West, Duane R. Gavin, Grand President|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, April 17th, 2016 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 666666 N 4307065|
|Decimal Degrees||38.89666667, -121.07813333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 53.8', W 121° 4.688'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 53' 48" N, 121° 4' 41.28" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||530, 916|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 219 Maple St, Auburn CA 95603, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|