Ruins of Old León

Ruins of Old León (HM1RKN)

Location: Puerto Momotombo, León
Country: Nicaragua

N 12° 24.159', W 86° 36.964'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 209 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription

Cultural Heritage of Humanity

— Ruinas de León Viejo · Patrimonio Cultural de la Humanidad —

La ciudad de León de Nagrando, fundad en 1524 por el Capitán de conquista Francisco Hernández de Córdoba, por órdenes de Pedro Arias de Ávila (Pedrarias Dávila - gobernador de Darién en Panamá). Se le bautizó con el nombre de León en alusión a la ciudad del mismo nombre en España, y denominada Capital de la Provincia de Nicaragua. La población precolombina que habitaba esta zona era del grupo de los Chorotegas, específicamente de la tribu de los Nagrandos, asentado en la costa del lago Xolotlán, siendo su principal núcleo el pueblo de Imabite. Fue aquí donde los conquistadores españoles construyeron sus primeras casas, a similitud de los habitantes nativos (ranchos de caña y paja). Las edificaciones de la ciudad León de Nagrando fueron construidos con mano de obra indígena a la usanza de la arquitectura española de la época, desarrollando tres etapas constructivas: Primitiva: Chozas de paja y caña. Fundamental: Paredes de tapial, techos de paja y/o teja. Definitiva: Paredes de ladrillo y techos de teja de barro. La ciudad fue habitada por 86 años, y abandonada en 1610, a causa del decaimiento en la economía ocasionado por la falta de mano de obra indígena, por la escasez de comercio, por la extinción total del oro en la minas de Las Segovias y por los frecuentes temblores ocasionados por el Volcán Momotombo, que culminaron con el terremoto de ese año. Después del terremoto la ciudad fue abandonada y sus pobladores se trasladaron en dirección norte junto al pueblo indígena de Sutiaba, emplazamiento actual de la ciudad de León. Sus ruinas fueron descubiertas en 1967 por investigadores de la Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Nicaragua - sede León, encabezados por el Dr. Alfonso Arguello Arguello. En 1994 fue declarado Patrimonio Histórico y Cultural de la Nación y el 2 de Diciembre del año 2000, recibe de UNESCO el nombramiento de Patrimonio Cultural de la Humanidad. Este Parque histórico y arqueológico es administrado por el Instituto Nicaraguense de Cultura. English:Ruins of Old LeónCultural Heritage of HumanityLeón de Nagrando was founded in 1524 by the Captain of conquest Francisco Hernández de Córdoba, who settled in this province at the request of Pedro Arias de Ávila (best known as Pedrarias Dávila, Governor of Darién in Panama). It was given the name of León in reference to the Spanish city of the same name and it was called Capital of the Province of Nicaragua. The pre-Columbian population living in this area belonged to the Chorotegas group, specifically to the Nagrandos tribe, who settled on the shore of Lake Xolotlán and whose main population center was the Imabite village. It was here where the Spanish conquerors built their first houses, which resembled those of the indigenous population (reed and straw huts). The constructions of the city of León de Nagrando were built in the Spanish architecture way of that time, using indigenous labor. There were three construction phases: Primitive: Straw and reed huts. Fundamental: Rammed-earth walls, thatched roofs and/or tile roofs. Definitive: Brick walls and clay tile roofs. The city was inhabited for 86 years and abandoned in 1610 because of the decline in the economy cause by the lack of indigenous labor, the scarcity of trade, the total extinction of Las Segovias gold mines and the frequent earth tremors related to the Momotombo Volcano activity, which culminated in the earthquake of that year. After the earthquake, the city was abandoned and its residents moved north, next to the indigenous village of Sutiaba, present site of the city of León. Its ruins were discovered in 1967 by researchers from the National Autonomous University of Nicaragua in León, led by Dr. Alfonso Arguello Arguello. In 1994, the ruins were declared Historical and Cultural Heritage of the Nation. On December 2nd of 200, the UNESCO declared them Cultural Heritage of Humanity. This Historical and Archaeological Park is administered by the Nicaraguan Institute of Culture.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1RKN
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, April 10th, 2016 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16P E 541731 N 1371108
Decimal Degrees12.40265000, -86.61606667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 12° 24.159', W 86° 36.964'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds12° 24' 9.5400" N, 86° 36' 57.8400" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Closest Postal AddressAt or near Unnamed Road, Puerto Momotombo León , NI
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. This markers needs some tags to help categorize the marker
  4. What historical period does the marker represent?
  5. What historical place does the marker represent?
  6. What type of marker is it?
  7. What class is the marker?
  8. What style is the marker?
  9. Does the marker have a number?
  10. What year was the marker erected?
  11. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  12. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  13. Is the marker in the median?