(Carson County Oil Discovery Well)
— (1 mile southeast) —The Panhandle's first oil well, Gulf Burnett No. 2, was struck by the Gulf Production Company on May 2, 1921, on the 6666 Ranch of S. B. Burnett. The prediction of oil in this area by U.S. geologists in 1904 and the discovery of natural gas nearby in 1918 induced Amarillo businessmen to finance Burnett No. 2. Though the first oil was of poor quality, major oil discoveries in the nearby Borger and South Pampa fields in 1926 spurred a regional oil boom and established the Panhandle as one of Texas' richest petroleum areas. Carson County has produced 150 million barrels of oil since 1921.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, April 10th, 2016 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 282050 N 3942578|
|Decimal Degrees||35.60296667, -101.40600000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 36.178', W 101° 24.36'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 36' 10.68" N, 101° 24' 21.6" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near TX-207, Panhandle TX 79068, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|