Village of Arlington
First a farming community, later a railroad
crossroads in southern Hancock County, Arlington
was one of the county's earliest settlements.
Gen. William Hull opened a trail into the area
during the War of 1812 as he crossed Buck Run
at Eagle Creek. He led his army to the Blanchard
River to establish Ft. Findlay. Robert Hurd owned
extensive tracts of land in the area, and his
sons were the first recorded settlers, building
a log cabin near this site in 1834. The rich farmland
and abundant water soon attracted
other settlers to the vicinity of "Hurdtown."
The name was changed to "Arlington" when the
village was formally surveyed in November, 1844.
The Arlington Heritage
1834: First log Cabin,
1844: Village platted with 16 lots,
1854: Asian cholera epidemic, 40 deaths,
1861: Civil War, town men leave,
1892: Village incorporated: Jim Huff, Mayor,
1897: First newspaper, "Arlington Gazette",
1900: First telephone, 1905: First high school graduation class,
1984: Sesquicentennial celebration