In 1919, Congress established the national charter for the American Legion to honor veterans of the Great War. Contra Costa administered a California bond issued to build veteran's memorial halls in each town with an American Legion Post.
Joseph Bispo charter member American Legion Hall Post relocated his craftsman homes to enable building the classic style American Legion Post on 3 parcels. The new veterans building, designed by James Narbett, built by Dinnie Construction ($18,000), and inspected by E.A. Root, was "Dedicate to those who served" on April 2, 1925.
Beginning in 1929, the veterans opened the building to all veterans organizations as well as to the community, including the public library, Chamber of Commerce, court proceedings, polling place, monthly dances, scouts, and service clubs. In 1978, a Community Block Grant enabled renovations to welcome the Danville Senior Citizen's Club.
In 2008, the county transferred the building in trust to enable a partnership between the Town of Danville and the Veterans Memorial Building Development Committee of San Ramon Valley. Designed by Architectural Resources Group, Inc. and built by Zovich Construction Co., the $8.4 million project restored the historic classical front while doubling the building space, enabling a Veterans Library, expanded auditorium, and senior wing. The new building continues to house American Legion Post 246, VFW Post 75, and Viet Nam Veterans of Diablo Valley and welcomes Marine Corps League Detachment 942, the Military Order of the World Wars, and supporting military auxiliary organizations to honor veterans for their service and sacrifice.