Left Dark by War, Lighted in RemembranceA large flashing light atop this rotunda once guided airplanes flying through the night skies of the Bay Area. Originally held aloft on a 75-foot tower erected by Standard Oil in 1928, it served as a crucial route-finding aid in the days before electronic navigation. Civilian Conservation Corps workers crowned this building with a 10-million candlepower light before the outbreak of World War II. After the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor it was turned off amid fears it could guide the enemy in attacking the mainland.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 595475 N 4193257|
|Decimal Degrees||37.88181667, -121.91430000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 52.909', W 121° 54.858'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 52' 54.54" N, 121° 54' 51.48" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||925, 510, 707|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Summit Rd, Walnut Creek CA 94598, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|