Cyprian Lee House
Cyprian Lee (1792-1854) settled in the Union County wilderness
in 1820 and purchased the 118 West Sixth Street lot in 1828 for
$6. County treasurer, coroner, shoemaker, and anti-slavery
activist, Lee lived here in a log cabin until 1832 when this
Greek Revival two-story brick house was completed. Other notable
citizens to have resided in this oldest brick house in Marysville
were showman Noah Orr (1836-1882), also known as the "Union
County Giant," and Josiah Jacob Morelock (1833-1899), a member
of the Marysville City Council and the first Fire Department in
Marysville. The Morelock family tannery business and stables were
located behind this house.
Colonel Noah Orr, "Union County Giant"
Colonel Noah Orr was born on September 19, 1836, in
Union County. His fame derived from the fact that he was
a very large man. At 7 feet 8 inches tall (nearly 9 feet
in costume) and 500 pounds in weight, he toured the
country as a giant and performer from the 1850s to 1882.
He appeared with many leading circuses, shows, and
museums. From 1878 to 1882, Orr traveled with the
Liliputian Opera Company, a group of midget actors and one giant who
performed musical comedies. His famous career ended July 1, 1882
when he died at this location.