Conway United Methodist Church/Brick Road

Conway United Methodist Church/Brick Road (HM1RC1)

Location: Orlando, FL 32812 Orange County
Country: United States of America

N 28° 30.117', W 81° 19.843'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 68 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
(side 1)
Conway United Methodist Church

The Conway Methodist Church was first organized in 1874 as the Prospect Methodist Episcopal Church South. Services were held monthly in a log cabin and led be a circuit rider. The building also served as the school and a gathering place for social activities in the community. The social life centered around a log structure of small dimensions built in 1875. The Morgan Mizell family deeded two acres at the southeast corner of Conway Road and Anderson Road for the church, parsonage, and cemetery. The original log cabin was located east of the structure that borders the intersection. On September 13, 1884, the name of the church was changed from Prospect to Conway and on January 7, 1885, the Conway circuit was created at the conference held in Gainesville. The circuit included Lake Howell, Pine Castle, Lake Irma, and Conway. Fifty two ministers served the church in the 65 years of its history to 1939 for periods of time varying from 3 months to 3 years. A clapboard structure replaced the log cabin in 1881 and stayed in service until 1960. Prayer meetings would be held at the neighbor's houses during the week, usually on Wednesday nights.

(side 2)
Brick Road

Conway Road was built in 1871 to connect Orlando with the tiny community. In the early 1880's. Mr. Frederick G. May lived on the east side of South Fern Creek Drive at Waterwitch. Everything was hauled in those days by oxen and horses. Mr. May started the first passenger and freight service between Conway, Lake Underhill and Orlando. Two times per week, this line carried private mail, cash commissions and 50 pound lumps of ice which sold for one cent per pound. Fare from Conway to Orlando was 25 cents or round trip 40 cents. In 1914, the entire seven-mile road was bricked and made nine feet wide. It was one of the first paved highways in Orange County running along what is now Briercliff Drive, Curry Ford Road, and Conway Road ending at Anderson Road.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1RC1
Placed ByOrange County Board of County Commissioners
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, March 29th, 2016 at 5:02pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)17R E 467634 N 3152852
Decimal Degrees28.50195000, -81.33071667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 28° 30.117', W 81° 19.843'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds28° 30' 7.02" N, 81° 19' 50.58" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)321, 407, 352
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling North
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 3391-3397 S Conway Rd, Orlando FL 32812, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. This markers needs some tags to help categorize the marker
  4. What historical period does the marker represent?
  5. What historical place does the marker represent?
  6. What type of marker is it?
  7. What class is the marker?
  8. What style is the marker?
  9. Does the marker have a number?
  10. What year was the marker erected?
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?