The lure of a harbor in Redondo Beach has drawn a mixture of investors and entrepreneurs, adventurers and risk-takers, all of whom who have thrown their hearts and souls - and fortunes - into the waterfront.
By 1892, when Redondo Beach was incorporated, 86 vessels already had called at the new city, bringing 8,216 tons of building supplies. For those vessels to arrive safely, a harbor had to materialize. This original harbor featured piers out to the open sea with no shielding breakwater. And, when the weather turned, the area became a pocket to catch all the force of the northwest wind, with its rolling waves of crushing violence. In September 1938, bonds passed for a 1,485-foot breakwater to be constructed with the government's help. Unfortunately, World War II interfered, and Redondo's planned breakwater sank on the priority list.
However, in 1956 with the backing of Rep. Cecil R. King, Congress authorized completion of the breakwater at a cost of $5 million. King Harbor's formal dedication was 10 years later, on November 19, 1966.
The Army Corps of Engineers has raised, extended, and repaired the breakwater on several occasions. And, in 1989, the City dredged the harbor to repair shoaling from the previous winter storms.
Even today, despite weather and adversity, the attraction of having a business near the water is a compelling force that entices visionaries to attempt their dreams>