1927The City of Auburndale was incorporated in 1911 and obtained a $60,000 bond in 1926 to construct a new city hall. Four proposed sites were presented as possible locations for the building until, after some indecisions, the City purchased a lot from Ephraim M. Baynard for $6,000. Designed by architect Rolland C. Buckley of Lakeland, and constructed by Paul H. Smith, an Auburndale building contractor, the new city office opened in 1927. City Hall originally housed all municipal offices including the Fire Department, City Clerk, City Manager, and Mayor on the first floor of the building. The second floor contained a courtroom, Council chambers, and a fireman's dormitory. City Hall has also served as home to the Chamber of Commerce, Public Library and Police Department, The building provides a relatively rare and visually appealing example of the Italian Renaissance style, made popular in New York by the famous architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||City of Auburndale, Auburndale Community Redevelopment Agency, Auburndale Historic Preservation Commission, Centennial Celebration Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, March 21st, 2016 at 9:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 422443 N 3104624|
|Decimal Degrees||28.06473333, -81.78925000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 28° 3.884', W 81° 47.355'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||28° 3' 53.04" N, 81° 47' 21.3" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 108 E Park St, Auburndale FL 33823, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|