This community located in Section 2 of Clinton Township, was
settled in 1813 by Thomas Bull. The land was formerly owned
by John Rathbone for whom Rathbone Road is named. Its early
growth was due largely to a number of "mechanics"- carpenters,
blacksmiths, shoemakers and other craftsmen who purchased lots
along the Columbus- Worthington Road (present North High Street)
and established their homes and businesses.
Clintonville, named for the township, soon became a thriving
center of shops, schools, and churches. OnSeptember 13, 1847,
the Clintonville Post Office was opened near this site. It served
this community until July 14, 1917, when Columbus took over the
mail service and the post office was closed. As a suburb of
Ohio's capital city, Clintonville has been recognized through
the years for its progressive spirit and its friendliness.
Franklin County, Ohio
This township was organized July 1, 1811, and as far as research
has been able to determine, was named in honor of George Clinton
of New York, then Vice President of the Unites States under
President James Madison.
The township was part of the United States Military lands set aside
by Congress in 1796 to satisfy the claims of
soldiers who sereved in the American Revolution.
The are was first settles in 1799 by Balser
Hess who built his cabin on the west side
of the Whetstone (Olentangy) River.
On June 23, 1800, patents were issued for the
four sections of 4,000 acres each which
comprise this township. Jonathan Dayton bought
Sections 1 and 3; George Stephenson, Section 4;
and John Rathbone, Section 2. Clintonville is
locateg in the Rathbone purchase. (map)