JeffersonThe vicinity of Jefferson, even before the organization of Dakota Territory in 1861, was a French - Canadian community and Catholic services were held sporadically prior to the advent of Father Pierre Boucher in 1867. In 1862 a small log building north of the present church was used as a school house and church where services were held. Father Boucher had a pastorate extending over a vast area of south-eastern Dakota and about twenty-five French-Canadian families formed the nucleus of his congregation here. Soon after his coming, a large wooden church was built and served until 1890, when the present fine church was erected during the pastorate of Father Cyrille St. Pierre. Father Boucher died in 1900 at Quebec. The Reverend Charles F. Robinson was the pastor from 1894 until 1924 and he lies buried in the adjacent church yard, whose grave stones abounding the names of parishioners and tells a story of its own. In 1889 a school and convent were built and these were replaced by the present parochial school building in 1951. The large wooden cross in the cemetery is a replacement for the rude cross placed therein in May, 1876, when Father Boucher led a eleven mile pilgrimage ending in the church yard at Jefferson, invoking divine aid against the besetting grasshopper plague.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||In Memory of the Forest C. Roach Family|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, February 29th, 2016 at 5:02pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14T E 700131 N 4719706|
|Decimal Degrees||42.60381667, -96.56033333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 36.229', W 96° 33.62'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 36' 13.74" N, 96° 33' 37.2" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 306-498 State Hwy 105, Jefferson SD 57038, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|