Father Jean-Marie Joseph Denecé settled at Petite Caillou soon after his ordination during the Civil War. He organized the parish established on Nov. 9, 1864 by Archbishop J.M. Odin, C.M., to serve the people of South Terrebonne. Fr. Denecé built church and rectory, opened the adjoining cemetery, and established missions on neighboring bayous. After his death, April 2, 1890, priests residing on Bayou Terrebonne served this section until Archbishop J.F. Rummel canonically erected St. Joseph Parish, Chauvin, in 1948 with Fr. Edwin J. Gubler as pastor.