In 1849, residents of Goldville began leaving the gold mining in northern Tallapoosa County for richer fields in California. A new location was found to the south. Stores, sawmills, and cotton gins were built. By 1857, "New Site" was listed as a U.S. Post Office. An 1885 map located New Site between Bethlehem and Harmony cemeteries. The 1950's brought the Community Improvement Club that would lead to the town's incorporation.
The Town of New Site was incorporated on August 23, 1965, to establish a public water system. The 1980's brought Horseshoe Bend Trade Days, which raised money for the volunteer fire and ambulance services. A new Town Hall was built in 1989 and an outdoor pavilion in 2003. A Senior Citizen Center houses Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and Senior Citizen activities. In 2008, the Town completed a recreational park for youth sports.