The District, bounded by 3rd and 8th Streets and Central to Ocean Avenues, has been placed on both the State and National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
On October 20, 1879, Simon Lake, Ezra B. Lake, S. Wesley Lake, James E. Lake, William Burrell and William B. Wood, met to dedicate this island as a Christian seaside resort and to incorporate the Ocean City Association. By October 1880, a total of forty-eight buildings had been constructed around a prayer meeting area bounded by 5th and 6th Streets and Wesley and Asbury Avenues.
Many more structures were erected during the 1880's and 1890's that reflected the Victorian architecture popular during the era. Many of these buildings still stand and make up our historic district.