Fort MontegoThe area was settled by the Taino. Columbus arrived in 1494 on the 2nd voyage, anchored in the bay and called it Golfo de Buen Tiempo or the Gulf of Good Weather. The Spanish used it to ship Manteca or Lard from the slaughtering of wild hogs. The name Montego is derived from the Bay of Lard or Manteca. The town played roles in the second Maroon War 1795-1796 and again in the 1831-1832 rebellions by the enslaved against slavery. Since the start of the 20th century it became a major international tourist destination.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, January 16th, 2016 at 5:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18Q E 190938 N 2045638|
|Decimal Degrees||18.47858333, -77.92643333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 18° 28.715', W 77° 55.586'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||18° 28' 42.9" N, 77° 55' 35.16" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Fort St, Montego Bay Saint James Parish , JM|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|