This massive steam locomotive was donated to the people of the State of Wyoming by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company. It was moved dead-in-train from Galesburg, Ill to Orin then via C&NW Railroad to Douglas in April of 1962. Title was transferred to the City of Douglas in 1993.
Built in the CB&Q shops at West Burlington, IA in September 1940 as one of the last class of steam locomotives on the Burlington. Part of an order for twenty-eight 317 ton units that were identical when built and were assigned Class 0-5A. They were designed for fast freight and heavy passenger service. Baldwin Locomotive works supplied the boiler and General Steel Cashing (sic, Casting?) of Chicago supplied the one piece engine beds (frames). Locomotive has roller bearings and Baker Valve Gear.
Locomotive saw service system wide on the CB&Q but evidence indicates that #5633 was not operated on the Colorado & Southern through Douglas. Locomotive was in service until 1956, then stored at Lincoln, NE. State Senator Charles G. Irwin and William Lindmier, Jr. were keys to getting locomotive donated to State.
Five of these locomotives are preserved in parks and museums.
#5629 - Colorado Railroad Museum - Golden, CO
#5614 - City Park - St. Joseph, MO
#5620 - Private Owner - Galesburg, IL
#5631 - Depot - Sheridan, WY
#5633 - Douglas Railroad Interpretive Center - Douglas, WY