BARRY is named after Commodore John Barry. She is the third vessel to bear the name of the illustrious Revolutionary War naval hero. The ship was built in 1954 in Bath Iron Works, Bath Maine; and commissioned on September 7th, 1956 in Boston, Massachusetts. The BARRY was one of three ships of the FOREST SHERMAN class destroyers involved in support of landing by Marines and Army Airborne units at Beirut, Lebanon in July 1958. In the autumn of 1962 USS BARRY was one of eight DD-931 class ships which imposed a quarantine on Cuba in the response to evidence that Soviet ballistic missiles had been installed on the island.
During her tour in Vietnam waters, in which she earned
two Battle Stars, USS BARRY fired shore bombardment missions in the Mekong Delta, and supported "Operation Double Eagle" from September 30, 1965 until January 5, 1967. She steamed 55,000 miles and expended over 3,000 rounds of 5-inch ammunition, including 2,500 rounds in combat and was credited by spotters for the destruction of over 1,000 enemy structures. In 1967 the BARRY underwent anti-submarine warfare modification which included the installation of the Independent Variable Depth SONAR and Anti-Submarine rocket launcher, increasing the length 418 to 424 feet.The USS BARRY was decommissioned on Nov 5, 1982 and was subsequently struck from the naval register. She began her new career in February, 1984 as a permanent, public Display ship.BARRY is also used for training and shipboard familiarization for NROTC and
NJROTC units, and as a ceremonial platform for retirements and change of command ceremonies.