This land was first deeded to Jeremiah McKibben in 1791. It passed through several owners until 1846 when Thompson Galbraith and Thomas Paxton sold the land containing a 2-story brick tavern to Peter A. Ahl.
Because of its proximity to the railroad, the business prospered. In 1860 when Captain Samuel Speese was the hotel keeper, the 3rd floor was added and the basement was dug out. In September of 1862 Captain Speese enlisted in the 13th Pennsylvania Cavalry, but resigned his commission 10 ½ months later due to the press of business.
In the meeting rooms of this hotel the Big Spring Turnpike was planned, and later the ill-fated Harrisburg and Potomac Railroad organized, and later still, the Newville High School Alumni Association organized.
With Ahl's bankruptcy in 1893 the hotel was sold for $4000 to S.D. Mowery, who also went bankrupt then George Dock Frey purchased it in 1916 for $3,420. From 1920 until 1923 the building was leased to the Pennsylvania State Police Training School. Afterwards the building was turned into apartments, and was finally demolished in the late 1950s.