(West Facing Side): Harpers Ferry
Named for Robert Harper, who settled here in 1747 and operated ferry. Site purchased for Federal arsenal and armory in 1796. John Hall first used interchangeable gun parts here. Travel route thru Blue Ridge gap, and river, canal, and railroad connections added growth. John Brown's raid and Civil War brought national attention. Post-war site of Storer College for blacks, and National Park, created in 1944.
(East Facing Side): John Brown's Fort
The United States building in which John Brown and his companions were captured was exhibited at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893, and now is on campus of Storer College above the town. This school, established, 1866, was one of the first Negro colleges.