On April 22, 1783, this historic cannon announced
the end of the American Revolution here on the
western frontier of the new nation
Cat at the Mount Aetna forge near
Hagerstown, this iron fortification gun
entered service at the New Frederick
Barracks in 1783, then the home to 1,500
German prisoners of war.
After the war, this gun fired Independence Day
salutes for the local militia. In 1831, it welcomed
the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Frederick.
On November 25, 1844, improper loading burst the
piece, killing its gunner Upton Duvall. This
surviving portion later stood watch at Bentz and
Fourth Streets, from about 1846 to 1951
Today this veteran symbolizes the important role
played by the "Hessian" Barracks in the American
Dedicated by citizens of Frederick on April 22,
2007, the 224th anniversary of a new beginning.
Michael M. Stup, Chairman