The Carlsbad Theatre had its grand opening on February 8, 1927 with the showing of the film "It" starring Clara Bow. Mr. A.J. Clark, the developer and manager, hosted the ceremonies. The Theatre featured a full stage, fly gallery, orchestra pit, pipe organ, and flyable movie screen. The original cost was $40,000. In 1939 it was renamed the Iris Theatre and in 1943 it was known as the Sylvia Theatre. The Samuels family owned and operated the Theatre from 1946 to 1961, known then as the Carlsbad Theatre. The Donald C. Dunham family purchased the Theatre in 1961 and showed movies until the late 80's. Renovated in 1999, the Carlsbad Village Theatre serves the community as a multipurpose entertainment venue for live stage and music performances, group meetings and large cinema screen presentations.