FrontApril 9, 1864
The Village of Pleasant Hill was founded at this location just inside the DeSoto Parish in 1846. Pleasant Hill was a major road intersection with roads radiating to Mansfield, Natchitoches, Grand Ecore, Ft. Jessup, Many, Red River (Pleasant Hill Landing), and Sabine River. The village migrated to Sodus R.R. Station, Sabine Parish in the 1880's and 90's and was incorporated there in 1896. The largest battle of the Civil War west of the Mississippi was fought in and around the village on April 9, 1864.
This Historical Marker is dedicated to the approx. 40,000 Union and Confederate troops who fought in the Battle of Pleasant Hill