Founder of Fort ValleyHere on the Indian Path that connected two Indian Trails, from Hartford to Fort Hawkins and from Barnard's Crossing to the Old Creek Agency, James Abbington Everett established, in the 1820's, the Indian Trading Post around which Fort Valley arose. He married Mary Beaufort Greene in 1835. At his death, in 1848, he owned 242 slaves, and more than 12,000 acres of land. A public benefactor, he gave land for church and school use here, secured for Fort Valley the Southwestern R.R., and devoted his wealth to Christian Education in Georgia.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series.|
|Marker Number||49 D-6|
|Placed By||Works Progress Administration|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 3:47pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 228812 N 3605511|
|Decimal Degrees||32.55388333, -83.88805000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 33.233', W 83° 53.283'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 33' 13.98" N, 83° 53' 16.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 204 W Church St, Fort Valley GA 31030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|