2. Monument to Sir William Johnson. The life size full figure of marble on granite risers with bronze plaque was erected by the Aldine Society in 1904.
3. Historic Battlefield - 1781. The Battle of Johnstown was fought October 25, 1781. American forces were led by Colonel Willett. The British forces were under Major Ross & Captain Butler. The site commemorates the last battle of the Revolutionary War - fought six days after General Cornwallis surrendered to General George Washington at Yorktown.
4. D.A.R. Monument. This large pink granite boulder with bronze plaque of colonial soldiers, in relief honors our heroic dead. The Johnstown Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution meet at James Burke's Inn.
5. The Drumm House - 1763. This is the oldest dwelling in Johnstown. The only survivor of six similar structures built by Sir William for his staff, here lived Edward Wall, schoolmaster of the first free school in the colony of New York.
6. Johnstown Historical Society. The museum covers 300 years of local history, housing historical treasures including the cradle for the children of Sir William Johnson and Molly Brant, snowshoes of Nick Stoner, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton's piano.
7. Sir William Johnson Park. In the park is the grave of Sir William Johnson, commemorative plaques and memorials to Sir William, the first Veterans of our nation, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, progenitor of the 19th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and the Charles E. Jenner Memorial and Bandshell.
8. Fulton County Courthouse - 1772. It is the only colonial courthouse still in use in New York State. Bricks used to build the courthouse were shipped from England, arrived by boat in Albany and traveled to Johnstown by wagon. The first court general sessions, Tryon County, September 8, 1771. Aaron Burr tried a case here in 1812.
9. Mrs. Henry's Boarding House. Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony stayed here while they penned the third of four volumes of their book, History of Women Suffrage.
10. First Presbyterian Church - 1865. The building was completed in 1865 at a cost of $33,000. It stands 60 by 110 feet and 133 feet to the top of the spire.
11. The Knox Mansion - 1898. This site is unique in that it was the home of Mrs. Rose Knox. After the death of her husband Charles in 1908, she took over management of the business - Knox Gelatine. She was honored in 1937 as Johnstown's foremost benefactress and industrialist. In 1922 she was listed as one of the six leading women in the nation.
12. James Burke's Inn - 1788. Built in 1765 for Sir William Johnson's surveyor, Mr. Robert Picken. The inn originally stood at 4 South William Street. It was moved to its present site in 1788 and was owned by the Younglove family from 1812-1925. The Johnstown Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution purchased it at that time, and they continue to hold their meetings at the inn today.
13. Colonial Cemetery. many notables of Colonial and Revolutionary days are buried here, including Colonel James Livingston and Washington Irving's sister. The unmarked grave of the last person legally hanged in Fulton County is in this cemetery.
14. St. Patrick's Lodge. it was first established in 1766 by Sir William Johnson, who was its first Master. In 1794 the first official meeting house was constructed at 12 West Montgomery Street, where meetings were conducted until 1887. From that time until 1902, the Wade family owned it. When Market Street needed to be extended beyond Montgomery, the home was purchased by William Hartman and moved to 101 Persse Street where it stands this day. Today members of the lodge meet in the building located on North Perry Street.
15. St. John's Episcopal Church. Sir William Johnson sponsored the construction of a stone church at this site which had its main entrance facing north. Sir William's remains were buried under the altar area which was on the south side of the church. When the current structure was designed to face east, his burial site ended up being outside.
16. Elizabeth Cady Stanton Marker. historical marker is located at the site of Elizabeth Cady Stanton's birthplace and home (1815-1902).
17. Johnstown City Hall - 1927. The building was constructed in 1927 after a great fire destroyed government offices in the old building in 1925. the previous offices were at 21 North William Street, the home of the Johnstown Fire Department. Municipal offices were on the third floor of the building.
18. Union Hall - 1798. Union Hall was the Post-Revolutionary War tavern resort of Nick Stoner. It was erected by Captain Jean Baptiste Vaumane de Fon Clair, former officer in the French Army of King Louis XVI.
19. Soldiers and Sailors Monument - 1910. This monument, with its full size figures, was dedicated in 1910 to the memory of the soldiers who lost their lives in the Civil War. The uniforms are from that war. Additional plaques have been added to honor soldiers who have fought in wars since that time.
20. Colonial Little Theatre. This building originally stood at 21 South Market Street where it was the home of several churches dating to the early 1800's. It was given to the Colonial Little Theatre Association by Mr. Gilbert Frasier of Gloversville in 1963 and moved to its present site at that time.
21. Johnstown free Public Library. This Andrew Carnegie endowed library was chartered in 1901. It officially opened to the public in 1902 with a total of 4,736 books.
22. Historic Home - 1816. The brick home was built in federal style by Benjamin Chamberlain, lawyer. it is officially listed on the National register of Historic Places.
23. Fort Johnstown - 1774. The fort was built in 1774 by Sir William Johnson to fortify the village and it was used by loyalists during the Revolutionary War as an important civil and military prison. It was inspected by General George Washington in 1783. When the cannon and balls were placed as a memorial in 1900, the cannonballs had to be welded together to prevent pranksters from rolling them down Perry Street Hill.
24. Knox Field. The Johnstown Board of Education had purchased in 1927sixteen acres of land for $18,000 to construct a new school. Mrs. Rose Knox donated $200,000 to the project of developing an athletic field adjacent to the school for the children of Johnstown. The field was formally dedicated and presented to the Board of Education and the City of Johnstown on October 1, 1930. In order to complete the project, parts of Second, Third and Morris Avenues were removed.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 at 9:08pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 551109 N 4761727|
|Decimal Degrees||43.00650000, -74.37288333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 0.39', W 74° 22.373'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 0' 23.40" N, 74° 22' 22.38" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 45-149 W Main St, Johnstown NY 12095, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.