This church, founded ca. 1761 by the Rev. Joachim Bulow, is one of the earliest Lutheran congregations in what is now Newberry County. A log church built nearby before the Revolution was replaced by a frame church. A larger frame sanctuary, built ca. 1830 during the pastorate of the Rev. Michael Rauch, would serve the congregation of St. Paul for 108 years.
The Rev. J.A. Sligh (1835 ~ 1917), the longest ~ serving pastor here, served St. Paul from 1865 to 1912 and is buried in the church cemetery. This Gothic Revival sanctuary, built in 1936 ~ 38, was constructed of granite quarried near Pomaria and designed by Willie Koon, brother of the Rev. S.P. Koon, pastor here 1916 ~ 1934. The first service here was in 1938; the church was dedicated in 1941.