James Monroe Daugherty (18501942), who came to Texas from Missouri as a small child in 1851, served as a Confederate express rider at age 14.
Following the Civil War he returned home to Denton County and became interested in the cattle business. He participated in numerous cattle drives and by 1872 purchased his first ranch. He was a charter member of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association. As his empire grew, Daugherty acquired additional ranches in several states. In 1890 he purchased land here and founded the Figure 2 Ranch. Taking up residence here by 1905, he was active in local politics and served as one of Culberson County's first commissioners upon its creation in 1911. Due to his failing health, Daugherty sold the Figure 2 Ranch in 1933 to legendary millionaire businessman James Marion West, Sr. (1871-1941) of Houston. Although West did not live at the ranch, he visited often and the property remained in his family until 1992.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 8:12pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13R E 514935 N 3479910|
|Decimal Degrees||31.45383333, -104.84280000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 27.23', W 104° 50.568'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 27' 13.80" N, 104° 50' 34.08" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 603 Unnamed Road, Van Horn TX 79855, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.