1776 - 1777
A redoubt is a small enclosed, heavily armed fortification built to protect a strategic location.
In 1776, fearing a possible assault by land, the Americans constructed the outer redoubt on this high piece of ground. It not only commanded the main fortifications at Fort Clinton, but all the surrounding terrain from which an enemy assault might be made.
On October 6th, 1777 the British stormed and captured the undermanned garrisons of Forts Clinton and Montgomery. Although the redoubt was constructed to hold 350 men, only 99 men were available to defend it when attacked. The outer redoubt was one of the last positions to fall to the enemy.
Additional details about the battle and the fortifications may be seen in the historical museum.
This cross-section shows the basic method employed to construct field fortifications during the American Revolution.
After the outline of the fortification was laid out, soil was removed from in front and behind ["A
"] and thrown up to create the parapet. This created a ditch in front, which along with fraise (pointed logs) made access by the enemy more difficult. On the inside, the removed soil provided protection to the defenders while reloading their muskets. The banquette served as a platform to fire over the parapet wall.
The parapet soil was held in place by low walls of stone and timber.
The outer redoubt was built in the above shape to take advantage of the existing ground, and still provide suitable areas for cannon and musket fire against any assaulting forces.
The ravelin was built to permit cannon fire into the deep ravine in front of Fort Clinton.