The community established along this road in the Bethania Town Lot was built by African-American men and women who began acquiring land here following the Civil War. Many of these people had been enslaved on the Oak Grove plantation, from which they had purchased much of this land. The area became a thriving historic African-American community, and included a church, school, stores, canning factory, farms, and a popular fishing lake. The nearby church, established by Bethania Moravians in 1850, became Bethania A.M.E. Zion Church in 1875, and continues to serve at its original location. Descendants of early families continue to live in this historically significant community.