How railroads surmounted the spine of the Alleghenies
— between Altoona and Johnstown —
This was the original (1850-54) PRR main line. After Horseshoe Curve was opened, this became the Hollidaysburg Branch (now Conrail's Cove Secondary Track).
From 1850 to 1854, the original PRR main line extended through what is now Altoona to a connection with the Allegheny Portage Railroad (part of the state-owned rail/canal system). When Horseshoe Curve opened in 1854, PRR quit using the APRR.
The New Portage Railroad was built by the State to replace the inclined planes of the Alegheny Portage Railroad - at the same time that PRR was building Horseshoe Curve. The New Portage Railroad was opened in 1855-56, but PRR routed all trains over its own main line. PRR bought the state-owned rail/canal system in 1857. The New Portage Railroad was abandoned in 1857, but PRR reactivated the line in 1904 to handle increasing freight traffic and provide a relief route for the main line over Horseshoe. The line was abandoned for the second time in 1981.
Duncansville was the original connection between the PRR and the state-owned Allegheny Portage Railroad during interim 1850-54 period.
Hollidaysburg was the eastern terminus of the APRR and the western terminus of the Juniata Division of the Pennsylvania Canal.
Former PRR Irvona Branch, now Conrail's Irvona Secondary Track.
New Portage Railroad/New Portage Branch right-of-way severed by construction of new route of U.S. 22.
The S. E. Baker Railroad, which later became a common-carrier line known as the Kittanning Run Railroad; it was abandoned circa 1917.
Glen White Coal & Lumber Co. Railroad operated on both sides of the valley formed by Glen White Run. The line was abandoned circa 1938.
Conrail's Philadelphia-Pittsburgh main line carries a large share of the railroad's east-west freight traffic as well as two Amtrak passenger trains the Broadway Limited