Henry's Hi-Life, once known as the Torino Hotel, was opened in 1960 by Henry Puckett (1914-1986). Originally a boarding house for dozens of newly immigrated Italian workers, the building was first named the new Progress Hotel.
Charles Sacco, a cook, was the owner of the new Progress Hotel, moving the existing structure to this site after the 1906 earthquake and adding a six room, two-story addition in 1908. The architectural style and building materials used in construction are typical of the buildings originally built in the 1880's.
The business changed hands in 1914 and was re-named the Torino Hotel. Owner Bartolomeo Vinassa, who immigrated to San Jose in 1903 and operated a nearby hotel, moved his business into this structure. Early directories list the address as the northwest corner of San Augustine and Pleasant Street, or 301 San Augustine Street. The Torino Hotel, operated by Bartolomeo and Caroline Vinassa, was widely known for serving generous portions of Italian food and providing fellowship for immigrant workers. A bocce ball court was located just north of the hotel.
Henry Puckett acquired the abandon hotel in 1960 and restored the building, adding a bar that was built in 1933 and salvaged from an old San Francisco hotel. Doris Puckett, Henry's widow, carried on the tradition of Henry's Hi-Live by serving great food and supporting good times for nearly five decades.