One of the largest stands of Giant Sequoias, it contained some of the finest Big Trees. The grove was logged as a private land between 1897 and 1907, first by the Sanger Lumber Company and later by Hume-Bennett Lumber Company, which in 1909 developed Hume Lake for a mill. Converse Basin, two miles northeast of this monument, had its own mill and narrow gauge rail connection to the logging town of Millwood, from which lumber was sent to Sanger in the valley by flume. Although they never realized any profit, the companies cut several thousand Big Trees and left only the largest, the Boole Tree, unfelled. The area today is part of Sequoia National Forest which regulates all uses including logging, but none of the ancient giant sequoias will ever be commercially cut again.