The Zanker House is a mid-19th Century example of an informal Victorian Italianate farmhouse. The house, built of California redwood, was originally located north of the Alviso-Milpitas Road on the west side of Zanker Road.
The outhouse is the Zanker family outhouse. This two-holer, c. 1906, is constructed of redwood siding and was located at the back of the house.
F. William (1833-1909) and Catherine (Walter) Zanker (1838-1919) moved into the house they built in 1868. Additions to the house, though removed, were made as the family grew. The Zankers raised a family of eight children.
The Zanker House arrived at the San Jose Historical Museum on September 14, 1986. Final restoration of the house was begun in June, 1988.
The City of San Jose's Historical Museum wishes to express its appreciation to the following individuals and organizations for major contributions toward this restoration project: Joseph F. Jenkins, San Jose Historical Museum Association, Southern Lumber Company, Central Concrete Supply Company, McDonald & Moore. Donations were made in memory of Frank Edwin Zanker and Pearl Kathryn Zanker. The following are also thanked for their support of this project: Lloyd Batchelder, Califia Chapter - Questers, the Victorian Preservation Association, and Larry Dolan Wallcovering.