These two guns, originally known as breech-loading rifles, are trained in a southerly direction, to either side of the flagpole. [Photos of:]
Gun on East side, registry no. 21, manufactured in 1896 here at the Navy Yard mounted on USS PURITAN (Monitor #1, BM-1, 1896-1922), one of the last of the USN monitors. She participated in the attack on the Spanish fleet at Santiago Cuba in July 1898.
Gun on West side, registry no. 152, manufactured in 1898 by American Ordnance Co., mounted on the USS TOPEKA (1898-1930, later PG-35). She operated off Cuba in the Spanish American War, also saw Mediterranean and Caribbean service.
USS PURITAN and USS TOPEKA