(Sir William Johnson)In efforts to develop great land holdings, he surveyed and laid out the village of Johnstown, built the first public school, and after Tryon County was set off in 1772, ensured the location of the county seat here. Interested in learning, he was a member of the board of trustees of King's College, now Columbia University, a founding member of the first board of trustees of Queen's College, now Rutgers University. Made a member of the Society of the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, he established a church for the Indians at Canajoharie, and built the first church at Johnstown in 1766. He effected the translation of some of the Gospels into the Mohawk Indian language and published a prayer book for them.
He aided and assisted emigrants from Scotland, Ireland, England, Wales, and Germany, to settle on his lands. Being known for his kindness to help the unfortunate.
A successful military commander, a great colonial administrator, and the "Builder of an Empire."
|Placed By||City of Johnstown, Fulton County, New York|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 13th, 2014 at 4:00pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 551077 N 4761738|
|Decimal Degrees||43.00660000, -74.37328333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 0.396', W 74° 22.397'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 0' 23.76" N, 74° 22' 23.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1 N Market St, Johnstown NY 12095, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.