The origin of River View Cemetery dates back to the November session of the General Assembly of Maryland in the year 1786 when it was incorporated by special act of that body. The land was donated to the town of Williamsport by General Otho Holland Williams, the founder of the town, the plat of same being registered in Hagerstown under the date of May 18th, 1787. The earliest recollection of the oldest citizen now living recalls this hallowed spot as a public commons, thickly covered with a dense growth of underwood and briars. Such was its condition when the Ladies Cemetery and Memorial Association of the place was organized in 1881, having as its special object the for this silent city of the dead. This charitable organization procured its charter in 1887 and under its painstaking and efficient management the tares have given place to the wheat of disinterested, well directed, Christian effort.
The present officers of this organization are Mrs. Charles Davis, President; Mrs. Arthur C. Gruber, Vice-President; Mrs. Geo. Thompson, Treasurer; Mrs. Jacob B. Master, Secretary; Mrs. M.E. Long, General Manager
This tablet is donated by D.F.Hill & Son, of Hagerstown, MD, and is specially dedicated to those who have made do many sacrifices in the accomplishment of what has been done.