One of the brick "fire proof" buildings which was destroyed in the fire of 1874 was Abraham Jacobs' old store, located on this site. By August, a new one story building had been completed here and the old store was back in business for another 20 years. In 1898, the local lodge of the AOUW purchased the old building. The Ancient Order of United Workmen was a fraternal order that provided survivors' benefits to families of deceased members. At the turn of the century, there were nearly 5000 subordinate lodges with a total membership of over 300,000. When the Central City lodge bought the old building for $3,600, they extended the building to the rear and added an elegant second floor. From 1899 to 1936, the Central City Post Office was located on the main floor. Not long after, C.C. Harper opened a grocery store which was opened through World War II. In 1948 the AOUW building became the "back room" of the Glory Hole Bar and alternately served as a dining room and a location for live theater.
Restoration completed March 1st, 1992