In this building Robert Nash Girling established his "Engish Apothecary" which he operated from the 1880s-1890s. An Englishman by birth, Girling studied pharmacy in England and at the Ecole de Pharmacie in Paris. In the early 1870s he immigrated with his wife to New Orleans, where he soon advertised as a "Druggist and Chemist". His embossed glass bottles read "R.N. Girling, Accuracy and Purity, Pharmacist and Chemist, New Orleans". A founder of the Louisiana Pharmaceutical Association in 1882, he served as its second president, and was instrumental in Louisiana becoming the first state in the nation to license pharmacists. After his death in 1894, this site continued to be used as a pharmacy until the 1950s.Placed by his descendants, October, 2004.